There was a lot of high intensity action on Tuesday as 22 teams faced off in 11 matchups around the NHL. Former Islanders keep lending support to their respective teams. Here is a synopsis of the FI successes:
* Martin Straka scored a shorthanded insurance goal as the New York Rangers blanked the visiting Atlanta Thrashers 4-0. Straka has 20 points (9 goals, 11 assists) on 33 games this season. The shortie was the 11th of his career and the first for Straka since before the lockout. He last scored a shorthanded goal during his brief stint with the Los Angeles Kings on January 3, 2006. Straka had gone 208 regular season games without a shorthanded goal!
* Bryan Smolinski assisted on the opening goal only 14 seconds into regulation then added a goal in the 2nd as the Montreal Canadiens thumped the visiting Boston Bruins 8-2. Smoke has 15 points (3 goals, 12 assists) on an injury-shortened 33 games with the Habs. It was the 3rd multi-point effort of the season for Smolinski. Bruins' forward Petteri Nokelainen scored the 2nd goal for a suprisingly defensively inept Bruins squad. Nokelainen has 6 points (5 goals, 1 assist) on 36 games. The tally snapped an 11 game goal-less streak.
* Olli Jokinen had a powerplay assist on Florida's 3rd goal as the Panthers downed the struggling visiting Ottawa Senators 5-3. O-Jok has 23 goals and 24 assists for 47 points on 50 games. He has recorded 21 points (11 goals, 10 assists) with the man advantage.
* Tampa Bay defenseman Brad Lukowich had a shorthanded assist on the Lightning's 3rd goal as they edged the visiting Edmonton Oilers 4-3. Luko has 5 points (1 goal, 4 assists) on 47 games. It was the first shortie helper for Lukowich since October 13, 2005 while still with the Isles.
* Chris Osgood stopped all 27 shots he faced as the Detroit Red Wings blanked the host Los Angeles Kings 3-0. Playing for the first time in a week, Osgood improved to 20-3-2 while upping his save percentage to .925 and dropping his goals against average to a measly 1.87. It was the 3rd shutout of the season for Osgood and his second in his last 7 starts. Osgood has now had 20 or more wins in 12 seasons.
* Brent Sopel assisted on the opening tally of the game as the Chicago Blackhawks fell to the host San Jose Sharks 3-2. Sopel has 1 goal and 12 assists for 13 points on 39 games. With the helper Sopel snapped a 3 game point-less streak.
Check back soon for more updates and recaps here at FIW.