Ten games were up for contention on Saturday night in a busy Saturday evening. Twenty teams battled for important midseason points as it becomes clearer each week who is in contention and who is slipping. Former Islanders are helping their respective teams with concerted efforts. Let us take a look at the FI happenings:
* Zdeno Chara had a nice night helping power a Boston Bruins 4-3 OT win over the host Philadelphia Flyers with 3 assists including 2 with the man advantage. The Boston captain, Chara has 29 points (6 goals, 23 assists) on 44 games this season. The 3 assist effort was the most offensive night he has had this year and the most he has notched since February 14, 2004 while with the Ottawa Senators! Almost half of his points (14) have come on the powerplay which accounts for 4 goals and 10 assists.
* Derek Armstrong found net on Saturday as the Dallas Stars fell in SO to the host Los Angeles Kings 4-3. The Kings' center has struggled this season and has only 18 points (4 goals, 14 assists) on 46 games. Over the last 2 games, Armstrong has recorded a goal and an assist.
* Michael Peca was stopped on his attempt in the SO as the Columbus Blue Jackets edged the visiting Nashville Predators 2-1.
* Olli Jokinen brought a 3 game point-less streak to a screeching halt with the opening goal in a 5-3 loss for the Florida Panthers against the visiting intrastate rival Tampa Bay Lightning. Jokinen also snapped a 6 game goal-less streak and has 21 goals and 21 assists for 42 points on 45 games.
* Martin Straka scored the game winning goal as the New York Rangers beat the visiting Montreal Canadiens 4-1. Point-less in his last 3 games and goal-less in his last 4, Straka has 18 points (8 goals, 10 assists) on 28 games. The game winner was Straka's second of the season and the 40th of his career.
Check back soon for more recaps.