It was a busy Tuesday around the NHL as 20 teams faced off in 10 hotly contested tilts. Former Islanders are lending support to their respective teams as they battle for those all-important points for the standings in the midseason playoff scramble. Let us take a gander at the FI contributions:
* Michael Peca had a powerplay assist on Columbus' second goal as the Blue Jackets edged the visiting Vancouver Canucks 3-2. Peca snapped a 4 game point-less streak and an 8 game assist-less streak to record his 17th point of the season on 4 goals and 13 assists. Six of his points (1 goal, 5 assists) have come on the man advantage. He has played 31 games this season for Columbus. Roberto Luongo took the loss in net for the Canucks stopping 18 of 21 shots. He fell to 21-14-3 on the season and has dropped 2 of his last 3 starts.
* Viktor Kozlov received the primary assist on the opening goal of the game, a powerplay tally, as the Washington Capitals downed the visiting Ottawa Senators 4-2. Kozzer now has 26 points (4 goals, 22 assists) on 45 games. He has 2 assists over his last 2 games. As Washington continues to dominate Ottawa (4-0 record), Kozlov has scored or assisted in all 4 of those games accounting for 6 of his points (2 goals, 4 assists) from this season.
* Two FIs recorded assists as the Toronto Maple Leafs survived a last second comeback attempt by the visiting Carolina Hurricanes to win 5-4. Jason Blake had 2 assists (1 powerplay) to improve to 29 points (8 goals, 21 assists) on 46 games this season. Blake snapped a 3 game point-less streak with the helpers. It was the 7th multi-point game this year for Blakey. Jeff Hamilton assisted on the 3rd Carolina goal breaking a 4 game point-less stretch. Hamilton now has 17 points (5 goals, 12 assists) on 45 games. It was only the 2nd assist for Hamilton in his last 23 competitions.
* Chris Osgood finally seems to be cooling off. Osgood took a loss stopping only 13 of 17 shots before being replaced by Dominik Hasek in the 3rd period as the Detroit Red Wings fell to the visitimng Atlanta Thrashers 5-1. Osgood is now 19-3-2 on the season. Over the last 2 starts, Osgood has given up 9 goals in about 97 minutes of ice time. He has stopped only 36 of the last 45 shots (.800 save percentage) he has faced.
* Todd Bertuzzi kept up his string of excellent play with another multi-point effort as the Anaheim Ducks doubled up on the visiting Dallas Stars for a 4-2 win. Bertuzzi assisted on the first Ducks' goal of the night and capped the scoring with a powerplay goal midway through the 3rd period. Bertuzzi has 23 points (9 goals, 14 assists) on 34 games. Over the last 4 games, Bertuzzi has notched 3 goals and 5 assists for 8 points. Anaheim is 10-4-3 when Bertuzzi scores at least one point and 4-0-1 when he records 2 or more points.
Check back for more updates as the playoff chase continues to heat up.