There were 6 games on the schedule on Valentine's Day Eve as the NHL marches swiftly toward the postseason. Former Islanders are contributing at an impressive pace right now with most seemingly having overcome some form of midseason slump. Let us take a look at the important FI contributions from Wednesday night:
* Viktor Kozlov opened the scoring as the Washington Capitals fell in the SO 3-2 to the host Atlanta Thrashers. Kozzer has 12 goals and 26 assists for 38 points on 58 games. Despite not recording a point in his prior 2 games, Kozlov has been on a torrid pace recently with 8 goals and 6 assists for 14 points over his last 15 competitions.
* Randy Robitaille scoring the tying goal but the Ottawa Senators fell 3-2 in SO to the host New Jersey Devils. It was a historic night as Devs' goalie Martin Brodeur became the first tender to record 30+ wins in 12 consecutive seasons. Robitaille did his best to keep that streak from becoming a reality by scoring his 10th goal of the season with less than 5 minutes remaining in the 2nd period to knot the score at 2. Add to that 13 assists and Robby has 23 points on 47 games. He has scored goals in consecutive games for the first time since November 11-13, 2006 while still playing with the Philadelphia Flyers.
* Chicago defenseman Brent Sopel has 2 assists, including 1 on the game winner, as the Chicago Blackhawks thumped the host Columbus Blue Jackets 7-2. Sopel has 1 goal and 15 assists for 16 points on 46 games. With the helpers he snapped a 4 game point-less streak. It was the 3rd multi-point game of the season for Sopel. Columbus d-man Dick Tarnstrom scored the 1st Jackets' goal, a powerplay tally only 1:25 into the 2nd period. It was Tarnstrom's 2nd goal of the season. He now has 7 points (2 goals, 5 assists) on 31 games. In 2 games since joining the Jackets he has 1 goal and 1 assist. Michael Peca assisted on that goal. Peca has 26 points (4 goals, 22 assists) on 44 games. During his current 3 game point streak he has 4 assists. Nearly half of his season points (12) have come on the man advantage (1 goal, 11 assists).
* Bryan Smolinski assisted on the game winning powerplay goal only 1:43 into OT as the Montreal Canadiens beat the Richard Zednik-less host Florida Panthers 2-1. Smoke has 5 goals and 13 assists for 18 points on 44 games. With the helper he snapped an 8 game point-less streak. He has recorded 5 of his points (1 goal, 4 assists) this season with the extra man.
* Bruins' forward Petteri Nokelainen opened the scoring as visiting Boston edged the Pittsburgh Penguins 2-1. Nokelainen has 6 goals and 1 assist for 7 points on 43 games. With the goal he snapped a 6 game point-less and goal-less streak.
Check back soon for Valentine's updates as they happen here at FIW.