They called it Super Tuesday. No not the primary elections, the 10 games that dominated and continued to help define the playoff chase as the NHL rapidly nears the end of the regular season. Some teams continue to rise while others are sinking like stones. Former Islanders are helping out their teams through resurgences and sufferings. Let us take a look at the FI efforts from a busy night around the league:
* Todd Bertuzzi assisted on the final goal as the Anaheim Ducks blanked the host Isles 3-0. Bert has 11 goals and 18 assists for 29 points on 43 games. He snapped a 4 game point-less streak with the helper. It was his first point against his original team since he recorded a hat trick against them January 14, 2006 while still playing with the Vancouver Canucks.
* Tom Poti scored the game tying goal with less than 7 minutes remaining in regulation then assisted on the game winner OT as the Washington Capitals pulled off a 4-3 come-from-behind win over the host Columbus Blue Jackets. The goal was Poti's first of the season. He now has 1 goal and 14 assists for 15 points on 45 games. It was his first multi-point game since November 23, 2006. He went 50 games without a goal including 5 playoff games from last season. Teammate Viktor Kozlov assisted on Washington's 2nd goal which briefly knotted the game in the second period. Kozzer has 10 goals and 26 assists for 36 points on 54 games. Jackets' center Michael Peca had an assist on his team's 2nd goal. Peca has a respectable 22 points (4 goals, 18 assists) on 40 games. He has shown marked improvement over last season's 35 game effort that was cut short by injury. Peca has battled off a couple of minor injuries to play in most of Columbus' games.
* Randy Robitaille assisted on Ottawa's second goal as the Senators fell to the host Montreal Canadiens 4-3. Robby has 8 goals and 13 assists for 21 points on 43 games.
* Richard Zednik had a trio of powerplay goals to notch an impressive hat trick as the Florida Panthers spanked and blanked the host Toronto Maple Leafs 8-0. Zed also added an assist. Additionally Zednik's first goal was the game winner. He now has 22 points (13 goals, 9 assists) on 51 games. Zednik has 5 points (4 goals, 1 assist) over his last 2 and has 6 powerplay goals and 5 game winners on the season. It was Zednik's first 4 point night since April 21, 2002 when he scored 2 goals and 2 assists in a first round playoff matchup against the Boston Bruins while with the Montreal Canadiens. As well, it was the first hat trick for Zed since October 31, 2000 as a Washington Capital, a span of 466 games! Also getting involved was captain Olli Jokinen who notched a goal and an assist. O-Jok has 26 goals and 27 assists for 53 points on 55 games. Jokinen has 4 points (2 goals, 2 assists) over the last 3 games.
* Defenseman Eric Brewer was credited with 2 assists, including one on the powerplay, as the St. Louis Blues were edged by the visiting Tampa Bay Lightning 5-4. Brewer now has 14 points (1 goal, 13 assists) on 47 games. He has recorded 4 of those helpers on the man advantage. He has been particularly productive recently with 3 assists over his last 2 competitions.
* Roberto Luongo cannot buy a win and Taylor Pyatt should not be taking SO attempts. O, the woes of the Canucks. Luongo and crew fell in the SO to the host Dallas Stars 3-2. The Vancouver goalie has been relatively unsuccessful as of late. Luongo stopped 32 of 34 between regulation and OT and 4 of 6 in the SO but it was not enough to stop his recent slide. He fell to 22-17-6 on the season. Luongo is 0-1-2 over his last 3 starts surrendering 9 goals over that time. Taylor Pyatt's attempt in the 6th round of the SO that would have extended the frame was stuffed by Dallas goalie Marty Turco. T-Py is currently 1 for 8 this season on SO attempts. In other words Pyatt is converting SO attempts at 12.5% rate.
* Adrian Aucoin had a powerplay assist as the Calgary Flames mounted a 3 goal comeback over the visiting Phoenix Coyotes to pull off a 4-3 SO win. Aucoin has 7 goals and 18 assists for 25 points on 49 games. He has recorded over half his points (13, 3 goals, 10 assists) on the powerplay.
Check back soon for more highlights although everyday may not be as super as Super Tuesday was!