There were 7 games up for grabs on Wednesday as we are officially in wind down mode to the 2007-08 season. With only a couple of weeks left to play, there are still many teams sniffing out a playoff spot. The battles are intense in both the Eastern and Western Conferences as the battles for 7th and 8th spot are still very much a reality. Former Islanders are trying to get their teams to the playoff promised land. Let us take a peak at the FI efforts:
* Jeff Hamilton, back for the first time in over a month after being demoted to the AHL, had 2 assists including 1 on the game winner as the Carolina Hurricanes beat the host Atlanta Thrashers 5-3. Hamilton has 6 goals and 15 assists for 21 points on 53 games.
* Martin Straka had an assist on the tying goal with less than 5 minutes remaining in regulation as the visiting New York Rangers edged the New Jersey Devils 2-1 in SO. Straka has 35 points (13 goals, 22 assists) on 57 games. It is the 10th time on Straka's career, and 3rd consecutive time, that Straka has notched 35+ points on a season.
* Chris Osgood stopped 22 of 23 shots as the Detroit Red Wings beat the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets 3-1. Ozzie improved to 26-9-3 on the season with the win and now has a .917 save percentage and a paltry 2.04 goals against average with 4 shutouts. It was the first win for Osgood in his last 3 appearances.
* Todd Bertuzzi scored the game winner with 28 seconds left in regulation as the Anaheim Ducks edged the host Dallas Stars 2-1. Bertuzzi has 14 goals and 22 assists for 36 points on 61 games. The game winner was the 30th of Bertuzzi's career and his 2nd this season.
* Brent Sopel assisted on Chicago's 3rd goal as the Blackhawks blanked the visiting Washington Capitals 5-0. Back for only his 2nd game since suffering an injury in mid-February, has 1 goal and 18 assists for 19 points on 52 games. With the helper he snapped a 4 game point-less streak.
Check back here soon for more recaps and updates at FIW.