It was a busy night around the NHL as 16 teams were in action in 8 high energy tilts. The playoffs are still a possibility for so many teams around the league. Former Islanders on those clubs are trying to lend a hand in making that next phase a reality. Let us look at the FI contributions for Thursday:
* Petteri Nokelainen assisted on the final goal of the game as the Boston Bruins fell to the visiting Montreal Canadiens 4-2. Nokelainen has 8 points (6 goals, 2 assists) on 49 games. With the helper he snapped a 5 game point-less streak and a 28 game assist-less streak.
* Recently returned Jeff Hamilton was stuffed on his attempt in the 1st round of the SO as the Carolina Hurricanes beat the host Florida Panthers 2-1.
* Randy Robitaille assisted on the game winner as the Ottawa Senators edged the visiting St. Louis Blues 3-2. Robby has 10 goals and 17 assists for 27 points on 63 games.
* Only 3 games returned from yet another injury, Ryan Smyth got back on the boxscore in the Colorado Avalanche's 2-1 loss to the host Calgary Flames. Smyth assisted on the lone Avs' goal 5:52 into the 3rd period. He now 14 goals and 20 assists for 34 points on 48 games. For the 8th consecutive season, and 9th time on his career, Smyth has notched 20+ assists.
* Roberto Luongo stopped 33 of 34 shots to insure the win as the Vancouver Canucks beat the host Edmonton Oilers 4-1. Luongo is now 34-22-9 securing his 6th win streak of 3+ games this season. FI teammates Taylor Pyatt and Trevor Linden added insurance goals in the 3rd period. T-Py has 35 points (15 goals, 20 assists) on 73 games. For only the 2nd season Pyatt has notched 35+ points. Linden's goal, a shorthanded tally with 6:40 remaining, was his 5th netter of the season. He also has 4 assists for 9 points on 51 games. Linden snapped a 14 game goal-less drought with the shorthander, the 18th penalty kill goal of his career and his first since November 20, 2005 a span of 191 regular season games. Edmonton defenseman Denis Grebeshkov assisted on the lone Oilers' goal that snapped Luongo's shutout chance 10:09 into the 3rd. Grebeshkov has 2 goals and 13 assists for 15 points on 64 games. He snapped a 5 game point-less streak with the helper and now has the first 15+ point season of his career.
Check back soon for more highlights and updates at FIW.