Two-thirds of the league was in motion on Saturday as 20 teams took to the ice in 10 high energy competitions. Spots are still available for the playoffs. Former Islanders are trying to get their teams to the postseason. Let us look at the FI accomplishments:
* Ryan Smyth assisted on Colorado's 4th goal as the Avalanche were outdueled by the host Edmonton Oilers 7-5. Smyth has 14 goals and 21 assists for 35 points on 49 games. For the 8th consecutive season, and 9th time on his career, he has reached the 35+ point plateau. Edmonton defenseman Denis Grebeshkov had an assist on the Oilers' 2nd goal. Grebeshkov has had 2 assists in as many games and now has 2 goals and 14 assists for 16 points on 65 games.
* Derek Armstrong assisted on the game winner as the last place Los Angeles Kings stunned the host Dallas Stars for a 4-2 win. Armstrong has 8 goals and 24 assists for 32 points on 71 games. He has notched 3 assists over the last 5 competitions.
* Olli Jokinen scored the powerplay game winner midway through the 3rd period as the Florida Panthers beat the visiting Tampa Bay Lightning 4-2. O-Jok has 70 points (33 goals, 37 assists) on 76 games. The goal was his 17th on the man advantage this season. For the 3rd consecutive season Jokinen has notched 70+ points.
* Petteri Nokelainen scored the game tying goal midway through the 2nd period as the Boston Bruins fell to the Montreal Canadiens 3-2 in SO. Nokelainen has 9 points (7 goals, 2 assists) on 50 games. He has 2 points (1 goal, 1 assist) over his last 2 games, the first points in back-to-back games in his young career. Zdeno Chara assisted on Boston's first goal but was stopped on his attempt in the 1st round of the SO. Chara has 16 goals and 33 assists for 49 points on 70 games and is on the verge of his first 50 point season.
* Jason Blake had an assist on the game winner only 2:14 into the 3rd period as the Toronto Maple Leafs edged the host Ottawa Senators 5-4. Blakey has 14 goals and 34 assists for 48 points on 76 games. He has 3 points (1 goal, 2 assists) over the last 2 games.
* Kevin Weekes made his second backup appearance in as many games but this time Martin Brodeur was getting rest, not his blades sharpened, as the Pittsburgh Penguins thumped the visiting New Jersey Devils 7-1. A rusty Weekes played 14 minutes stopped on 6 of 9 shots in the no decision. He remained 2-2-1 on the season with an .893 save percentage and a 3.04 goals against average.
* Todd Bertuzzi on both, including a powerplay winner, as the Anaheim Ducks edged the host Phoenix Coyotes 2-1. Bert has 38 points (14 goals, 24 assists) on 63 games. He has notched 9 points (4 goals, 5 assists) on the man advantage.
Check in soon for more game recaps and FI happenings.