It was a relatively busy day around the NHL on Saturday as 18 teams were in motion in 9 high energy competitions. It is now or never for many teams around the league as they either climb or fall in the push for the playoffs. Former Islanders are trying to help steer their teams in the right direction. Let us look at the FI work effort:
* Zdeno Chara scored a powerplay goal but left the game late with an undisclosed injury as the Boston Bruins edged the visiting Washington Capitals 2-1. Chara, having a career year offensively, has 16 goals and 32 assists for 48 points on 68 games. The 16 goals this season equals his previous best effort from the 2003-04 and 2005-06 seasons. Chara has recorded 24 of his points (9 goals, 15 assists) on the powerplay. Washington defenseman Tom Poti had a powerplay assist on the lone Caps' goal. Poti has 1 goal and 23 assists (24 points) on 58 games. Over the last 6 games he has notched 7 assists.
* Roman Hamrlik had assists on the 2 insurance goals and the Montreal Canadiens beat the host Los Angeles Kings 5-2. Hamrlik has 4 goals and 19 assists for 23 points on 64 games. With the helpers he snapped a 3 game point-less streak.
* Randy Robitaille snapped a 7 game point-less streak with a powerplay assist on Ottawa's 2nd goal as the Senators beat the host Phoenix Coyotes 4-2. Robby has 10 goals and 15 assists for 25 points on 59 games. For the 7th time on his 11 year career he has reached the 25+ point plateau on a season.
* Olli Jokinen had 2 assists, including 1 on the man advantage, as the Florida Panthers eked by the visiting Atlanta Thrashers 3-2 in OT. O-Jok has 30 goals and 36 assists for 66 points on 71 games. Over the last 2 games he has 4 assists.
For the 4th time on his career Jokinen has 65+ on a season.
* Roberto Luongo stopped 23 of 25 shots for his 2nd win in as many starts. Luongo improved to 30-20-9 on the season with a .921 save percentage, a 2.23 goals against average and 6 shutouts. Brad Isbister scored the game winner with 4:12 remaining in the 3rd period. Isbister has 5 goals and 5 assists for 10 points on 46 games. With the goal Izzie snapped an 8 game goal-less and point-less streak. It was the first game winner of the season for Isbister and his first since December 27, 2003 while still with the Edmonton Oilers, a span of 148 games. Taylor Pyatt had 2 assists, including 1 with the extra man. Pyatt has 33 points (13 goals, 20 assists) on 67 games.
Keep checking in with FIW for more updates.