With an extra day this year the NHL celebrated Leap Day with 7 games. As teams fight for important points in the standings, Former Islanders are lending their help. Let us take a peek at the FI efforts from a rare February 29:
* Tom Poti had 2 assists, including 1 powerplay, as the Washington Capitals and new goalie Cristobal Huet blanked the host New Jersey Devils 4-0. Poti has 1 goal and 19 assists for 20 points on 54 games. He has recorded 7 of those assists on the man advantage. For the 9th straight season Poti has notched 20+ points. Viktor Kozlov notched the 1st of 3 Washington insurance goals. Kozzer has 40 points (13 goals, 27 assists) on 64 games. It is the 6th time on his career that he has notched 40+ points.
* Tim Connolly scored Buffalo's 2nd goal, a powerplay tally, as the Sabres were outplayed by the visiting Montreal Canadiens 6-2. Connolly has 7 goals and 33 assists for 40 points on 44 games. He has 9 points (2 goals, 7 assists) during his current 5 game scoring streak. It is the 4th time on Connolly's career that he has notched 40+ points on a season. Montreal defenseman Roman Hamrlik had a powerplay assist on the opening goal of the game. Hamrlik has 4 goals and 17 assists for 21 points on 60 games. He has recorded 9 points (2 goals, 7 assists) on the man advantage.
* Jason Blake scored the game tying goal but the Toronto Maple Leafs' still fell in OT to the host Tampa Bay Lightning 3-2. Blake received 3rd star of the game honor and now has 12 goals and 28 assists for 40 points on 66 games. During his current 3 game streak he has 1 goal and 3 assists for 4 points. For the 5th straight season Blake has notched 40+ points.
* Dick Tarnstrom had 2 assists including 1 on the OT winner as the Columbus Blue Jackets stunned the host Vancouver Canucks for a 3-2 win. Tarnstrom has 6 points (1 goal, 5 assists) on 9 games since joining the Jackets. With the helpers he snapped a 5 game point-less streak. On the season, Tarnstrom has 11 points (2 goals, 9 assists) on 39 games between Edmonton and Columbus. Taylor Pyatt assisted on the opening goal of the game and received first star honor. T-Py has 31 points (13 goals, 18 assists) on 63 games. Trevor Linden received the primary assist on the opening goal as well. Linden has 4 goals and 4 assists for 8 points on 47 games. with the helper Linden snapped a 10 game point-less streak. Roberto Luongo took the OT loss stopping 30 of 33 shots faced. Luongo is now 28-18-9 on the season and has 2 OT losses in as many games.
* Mathieu Schneider scored the opening goal then added a powerplay assist on the game winner as the Anaheim Ducks beat the visiting Calgary Flames 3-1. Schneider has 9 goals and 23 assists for 32 points on 50 games. He has recorded 13 points (4 goals, 9 assists) with the extra man. Todd Bertuzzi assisted on Schneider' goal. Bertuzzi was ejected with a game misconduct only moments later for wearing his uniform improperly. Bertuzzi has 12 goals and 20 assists for 32 points on 53 games.
Check back here for more FI highlights soon.