With the season winding down it seems that what were typically slow nights around the NHL are now packed with hockey action. Case in point: Tuesday was rich with hockey as 20 teams were in competition in 10 high stakes games around the league. Former Islanders are trying to help keep their team's competitive as some bubble teams make the push for a playoff spot. Let us look at the FI workload:
* Viktor Kozlov assisted on Washington's 2nd goal, then scored the clincher in the 3rd round of the SO, as the Capitals beat the host Carolina Hurricanes 3-2. Kozzer has 15 goals and 33 assists for 48 points on 76 games. Recently returned winger Jeff Hamilton scored the opening goal, a powerplay tally with 14 seconds remaining in the opening period, to give the 'Canes an early lead. He was, however, stopped on his attempt in the 1st round of the SO. Hamilton has 7 goals and 15 assists for 22 points on 55 games. Since returning March 19 he has 3 points (1 goal, 2 assists) on 3 games.
* Martin Straka assisted on the lone New York Rangers' goal 1:41 into play as the host Blueshirts fell to the Philadelphia Flyers 2-1 in OT. Straka has 37 points (13 goals, 24 assists) on 59 games. He is in the midst of a 4 game point streak in which he has notched 1 goal and 4 assists for 5 points.
* Jason Blake notched a goal in the Toronto Maple Leaf's 6-2 thumping at the hands of the visiting Boston Bruins. Blake now has 15 goals and 34 assists for 49 points on 77 games. It is the 5th consecutive season that Blake has netted 15+ goals. He is currently in a 3 game streak in which he has recorded 2 goals and 2 assists for 4 points. Defenseman Bryan McCabe assisted on Toronto's 2nd goal, a powerplay tally. With the assist he snapped a 4 game point-less streak and now has 23 points (5 goals, 18 assists) on 49 games. McCabe has been especially productive on the man advantage having scored 16 points (4 goals, 12 assists). Bruins' forward Petteri Nokelainen had an assist on the empty net goal with 17 seconds remaining in play. Nokelainen has 7 goals and 3 assists for his first 10 point season on 51 games. He is enjoying a career best 3 game point streak in which he has 1 goal and 2 assists.
* Chris Osgood stopped 17 of 18 shots as the Detroit Red Wings edged the host St. Louis Blues 2-1. Ozzie is 27-9-3 on the season and has won his last 2 starts giving up only 2 goals on 41 shots faced.
* D-man Adrian Aucoin assisted on the game winning, powerplay goal midway through the 3rd period as the host Calgary Flames slipped by the Vancouver Canucks 3-2. With the helper Aucoin snapped a 5 game funk and now has 33 points (9 goals, 24 assists) on 72 games. He has recorded 18 points (4 goals, 14 assists) with the extra man. Taking the loss was Canucks' goalie Roberto Luongo who stopped 37 of 40 shots. Luongo received 2nd star of the game honor for his effort. He is now 34-25-9 on the season having dropped his last 2 starts.
Check in soon for more updates and highlights.