Five games were on the schedule on Wednesday night. The Former Islander action is definitely heating up. FIs accounted for 11 points (4 goals, 7 assists) and a loss in net. Let us take a look:
* Tim Connolly assisted on both Sabres goals in Buffalo's 6-2 loss to the host Carolina Hurricanes. The Buffalo registered one of those assists on the man advantage and has 10 points (1 goal, 9 assists) in only 10 games. 5 of his 9 assists have come with the man advantage. Postseason signing Jeff Hamilton has continued to show off for the 'Canes scoring an insurance powerplay goal. Hamilton now 8 points (3 goals, 5 assists) in the first 10 games of the season.
* Viktor Kozlov assisted on the second Washington goal in the Capitals 5-3 home win over the Tampa Bay Lightning. Kozlov has 4 points (2 goals, 2 assists) in 8 games.
* Roberto Luongo stopped 36 of 39 shots but took the loss in Detroit Redwing's 3-2 win over visiting Vancouver. The Canucks goaltender is struggling to get on par this season and is even seeing solid efforts foiled by his team's offensive struggles. Luongo continued to sink further below .500 and is now 3-6-0.
* FIs Olli Jokinen and Richard Zednik had big nights on Wednesday. Jokinen scored 2 goals, 1 on the powerplay, in Florida's 4-3 eke of a win over the visiting Philadelphia Flyers. The Panthers center is finally ramping it up and now has 8 points (4 goals, 4 assists) in 9 games. Zednik assisted on both O-Jok goals. With 3 points in the last 3 games Zed now has 4 points (2 goals, 2 assists) in 7 games.
* Adrian Aucoin had 2 assists (1 powerplay) as part of a huge Flames comeback in Calgary's 5-3 win over the Minnesota Wild. The Flames erased a 3 goal deficit in the last 30 minutes of ice time. One of Aucoin's assists came on the game winner. Aucoin now has 6 points (1 goal, 5 assists) in 10 games. Mark Parrish scored a powerplay goal. It was the second straight game that Parrish scored in. In 9 games, Parrish has 3 goals on the season.
Check back soon for all the FIW updates.