The NHL was in near full swing on Saturday with 13 games on the 13th day of the first month of play. FIs were on fire scoring 5 goals and 12 assists for 17 points with 1 win in net. Here is a look at the details:
* Tom Poti assisted for the second straight game in Washington's 7-3 thrashing of a loss to the host Buffalo Sabres on Saturday. The Capitals defenseman also exceeded 25 minutes of ice time for the second straight game. The assist came on the powerplay. Fellow FI Tim Connolly notched a powerplay assist on the final goal of the game.
* Winger Jason Blake scored his first goal and had his first multi-point night as a Maple Leaf accounting for a goal and an assist in Toronto's 6-4 home loss to the the Pittsburgh Penguins. Blake is paying off sufficiently for the Blue and White having scored 5 points (1 goal, 4 assists) in 6 games.
* Olli Jokinen had a big night in Florida's 6-4 evisceration of the visiting Tampa Bay Lightning. O-Jok scored a goal and posted 2 assists in the Panthers win. The goal and 1 assist came with the man advantage. As well, FI Richard Zednik scored his first goal and recorded his first point since signing with the Panthers in the offseason. Brad Lukowich, Lightning defenseman, also posted an assist on the final Tampa Bay goal. This was a busy game for FIs with 2 goals, 3 assists and 5 points recorded.
* Put FIs down for another couple of points. Devil Arron Asham nabbed a powerplay assist on the opening goal of the game in New Jersey's 6-5 win over the host Atlanta Thrashers on Saturday. Power defenseman and FI Alexei Zhitnik also notched a powerplay assist for the Thrashers for what was a shortlived 2-2 tie.
* Jeff Hamilton kept on impressing as he scored a powerplay assist in Carolina's 3-1 win over the host Montreal Canadiens. A postseason, free agent acquisition, Hamilton has shown some skill accounting for 6 points (2 goals, 4 assists) in only 6 games.
* Adrian Aucoin scored his first points since coming to Calgary is a postseason trade in the Flames 7-4 domination of the host Nashville Predators. Aucoin record 2 even strength assists. Toughman right winger Eric Godard scored the game winner, the first of his career, and his first goal since the 2005-06 season in the win. Godard missed most of last season with an injury that sidelined him for all but 19 games. The goal was only his 3rd in 129 career games.
* Power forward Ryan Smyth recorded a powerplay assist in Colorado's dominating 5-1 win over the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets. Since signing as a free agent with the Avalanche in the offseason, Smyth has only 3 points (1 goal, 2 assists) in 5 games.
* Roberto Luongo backstopped the Canucks to a 4-1 win over the visiting Edmonton Oilers. With the win, Luongo improved to 3-2-0 and helped Vancouver pull off the home-and-home sweep. Luongo stopped 27 of 28 shots. Fellow FI Taylor Pyatt, fresh off a new contract, scored his first goal of the season. It took Pyatt 5 games and 10 shots to find net.
The hottest night of FI action should just be a precursor to more exciting contention to come. Stick with FIW for all the NHL updates.