The league continued its early flurry of activity with 12 games on the schedule. Former Islanders were around and hard to find as they accounted for only 3 assists and a 1-1 record in net. Here is a quick look:
* Martin Straka assisted on the lone Rangers goal as the Blueshirts dropped a close one in regulation to the host Islanders 2-1. The goal that Straka assisted on helped knot the score at 1 a piece but the Isles would win it less than 12 minutes later as Former Islander turned Former Ranger turned Islander Bryan Berard scored the game winner on a 5-on-3 powerplay.
* Chris Osgood backstopped the Detroit Redwings to a 4-2 home win over the Calgary Flames in his first start of the season. Going back to last season, Osgood has not lost in regulation on the calendar year.
* Olli Jokinen assisted on the only Panther goal in Florida's 2-1 road loss to the cross-state rival Tampa Bay Lightning. Jokinen and company have yet to hit their offensive stride this season.
* Captain and 6' 9" defenseman Zdeno Chara assisted on the only goal for the Bruins in Boston's 2-1 road loss to the Anaheim Ducks. The goal, 1:05 into the 1st period, was the only sign of life the entire game for a thusfar lackluster Bruins squad.
* Roberto Luongo got chased from net early in a thumping by the visiting Philadelphia Flyers. Philly shut down the Vancouver Canucks 8-2 on Wednesday. Luongo stopped 9 of 13 shots before being pulled during the first intermission.
Thursday is bound to be a slower night with only 5 games on tap. Until next time.