Sunday, July 15, 2007

Top 10 Remaining Former Islanders

With 2 weeks having passed since the opening of the free agency market there are still hundreds of players waiting to make a deal for their collective playing futures. Among that queue of anxious professionals are a swath of Former Islanders waiting to find new homes. Here are the top 10 remaining FIs in no particular order with a brief argument as to why they are just right for your team:

1. Alexei Yashin (C, 2006-07 Islanders) - "I might have a reputation for cashing big paychecks while giving little back but I truly am a talented player. In an injury-shortened season I netted 50 points in only 58 games. Every full season I have ever played I have managed 65+ points and until my supposed "slump" I was on a Hall of Fame path. I am a bonified scorer 781 career points (337 goals, 444 assists) in 850 games."

2. Mike Peca (C, 2006-07 Toronto) - "Despite breaking my leg in that crushing hit that shortened my season(secretly I cringe when I think about it), I am still available with a considerable discount. In my 35 games last year I accounted for 15 points, but is my veteran leadership that could be an asset to your team. One of the best two-way forwards I am a 2-time Selke Award winner. I am also a pretty good scored with 409 points (164 goals, 245 assists) in 728 career games."

3. Brent Sopel (D, 2006-07 Los Angeles/Vancouver) - "With 28 points in 64 games last season I continued my strong offensively-tinged defensive work with the Kings and playoff-bound Canucks. A fairly well-behaved blue liner I kept my penalties low last season and it paid off. When I am able to stay healthy I am an asset both in the home zone and on the attack. I have 181 points (39 goals, 142 assists) in 434 career games."


4. Bryan Berard (D, 2006-07 Columbus) - "Now that my back is better I am ready to give it my all in a full season of work. Last season I managed 3 assists in 11 games. A former Calder Trophy winner who has suffered the blows of bad luck (back injury, freak eye injurt) I am an excellent two-way defender with a nifty offensive touch. In 565 games I have 301 career points (71 goals, 230 assists)."

5. Jamie Heward (D, 2006-07 Washington/Los Angeles) - "After a disappointing set of tours with the Caps and Kings I am looking to join a defensive corps in need of help. In 71 games last season I managed 24 points while notching only 47 penalty minutes. A moderate two-way player, I have 122 points (38 goals, 84 assists) in only 381 games of pro work."

6. Vladimir Orszagh (RW, 2006-07 Injured Reserve) - "I have fully recovered from the knee injury that cut my 2005-06 campaign short. A staple for 3 years in Nashville, I am a competent goal-scorer with pretty good speed and a feisty nature. In 289 games I have notched 119 points (54 goals, 65 assists). I topped the 30 point mark in three consecutive season between 2001 and 2004."

7. Jim Dowd (C, 2006-07 New Jersey) - "I had a few spotlight moments last year with the Devs when nobody expected it. A 665 game veteran I am a moderate point scorer with good 3rd line or great 4th line center written all over. In 66 games last season I split 8 points between offensive categories but it was my 4th goal, a highlight shorthanded tally against the Flyers that sealed my place in New Jersey history. On my career I have 229 points (63 goals, 166 assists) and am looking to make more history somewhere soon."

8. Mike Dunham (G, 2006-07 Islanders) - "The Isles have made it clear that I am not welcome back, but that doesn't mean I can't be a competent back up goalie for your team. Understandably, Dubie stole my thunder last year after my little lapse but as a former 1st stringer I was a little rusty with the lack of play under the DiPietro dominance on the Island. 4-10-3 last year with a 3.74 goals against average and a .889 save percentage, I am now a 394 game veteran (366 starts). On my career I am 141-178-39-5 with a 2.74 gaa, .908 save % and 21,653 minutes of ice time under my belt."

9. Trevor Linden (C, 2006-07 Canucks) - "Hoping Vancouver and I can hammer out an extension this summer, I am still available as of right now. Former captain of the Canucks, former President of the NHLPA, Calder Trophy finalist, 4-time Cyclone Taylor Trophy and 2-time Cyrus H. McLean Trophy winner I have also won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy and was awarded the Order of British Columbia honor. A national landmark in Canada, I had a late season resurgence last year and finished with 25 points in 80 games. A consistent force on the ice I have only missed 13 games over the last 4 seasons. A 1323 game vet, I have 855 career points (368 goals, 487 assists) and am looking to stay in the league."

10. Alain Nasreddine (D, 2006-07 Pittsburgh Penguins) - "While Eric Cairns recovered from his season-ending injury, I filled in for him with the volatile Pens. In 44 games I had 5 points with a +12 rating and a gentlemanly 18 penalty minutes. I am looking to play my first, real full season this upcoming year. In 68 career games I have 5 points (1 goal, 4 assists)."

No comments: