Nine games were in contention on Wednesday night as 18 teams battle for those all-important midseason points. Former Islanders are contributing every which way they can. With 2 goals, 4 assists a couple of SO goals and a couple more failed SO attempts, FIs were trying. Let us take a look at their work from Wednesday:
* A Tim Connolly multi-point night went to waste as the Buffalo Sabres dropped a home decision in the final minute of regulation to the St. Louis Blues 4-3. Connolly received a secondary assist on a Buffalo powerplay tally and added a primary assist on the shortlived game tying goal. Connolly has 14 points (2 goals, 12 assists) on 17 competitions this season.
* Randy Robitaille had a goal waved off and was stopped on a chance in the SO as the Ottawa Senators dropped a 3-2 decision to the host New York Islanders. Robitaille is mired in a 10 game point-less streak since scoring 2 goals on November 1. This was his first game against the Isles since parting ways with the team in the offseason.
* There was a wild sudden death finish to the Florida-Washington game as the Panthers downed the host Capitals 2-1 in the 11th round of the SO! Panthers' FI Richard Zednik opened the scoring with his 8th goal of the season, a powerplay tally, 4:49 into the first period. Zed has now played 22 games this season posting 13 points on 8 goals and 5 assists. However, the real fun began in the SO. Let us look at what each FI did:
2nd Round - Olli Jokinen (FLA), goal!
3rd Round - Viktor Kozlov (WAS), goal!
7th Round - Richard Zednik (FLA), saved.
10th Round - Tom Poti (WAS), saved.
* Mark Parrish assisted on an insurance goal as the Minnesota Wild downed the visiting Phoenix Coyotes 3-1. Parrish is now averaging half a point a game with 12 (7 goals, 5 assists) on 24 tilts this year.
* Raffi Torres scored the first Oilers' goal of the night and defenseman Denis Grebeshkov assisted on the second as Edmonton lost yet another game, this time 4-2 at the hands of the host Colorado Avalanche. The goal was Torres' 4th of the season. With it he snapped a 14 game point-less streak and a 17 game goal-less streak. He now has 7 points (4 goals, 3 assists) on 25 games this season. Grebeshkov has quietly but confidently strung together a 3 game assist streak. He has 4 points (all assists) on 20 games this year. This is the first scoring streak of any sort for his short career.
Check back with us soon for all your Former Islander updates.