The action was hot on Saturday night as 24 teams faced off in 12 games. Former Islanders, never to be underestimated, were there helping their teams as the competition gets tougher as we head closer to the midpoint of the season. FIs notched a game winning goal, 4 assists and a SO goal for the night. Let us take a peek at their work from Saturday:
* A couple of competing FIs gave their two cents as the Toronto Maple Leafs fell to the host Phoenix Coyotes 5-1. Yotes' winger Mike York assisted on an insurance goal to improve to 7 points (4 goals, 3 assists) on 19 games this season. Leafs' winger Jason Blake assisted on the team's lone goal. Blake snapped a 9 game point-less streak where he all but disappeared from the Toronto boxscore. Blake now has 13 points on 2 goals and 11 assists in 24 competitions this season, quite a dropoff considering he had nearly a point a game before the offensive drought.
* Capitals' defenseman Tom Poti posted yet another powerplay assist as Washington downed the visiting Carolina Hurricanes 5-2 on Saturday. With 17 games under his belt this season, Poti has 7 assists with 3 of those helpers coming in the last 2 games. Poti has been a force on the powerplay notching 4 assists on the man advantage.
* Michael Peca scored a SO goal to help propel the Columbus Blue Jackets to a 3-2 win over the divisional rival Detroit Redwings. His SO goal sparked the first of 3 consecutive sudden death tallies by the Blue Jackets.
* Adrian Aucoin notched the game winner for the hot Calgary Flames as they downed the host Colorado Avalanche 5-2 on Saturday. The goal was his 3rd of the season. Aucoin now has 10 points (3 goals, 7 assists) on 23 games this season.
* Mark Parrish assisted on the third Minnesota goal as the Wild downed the host Nashville Predators 4-3. Parrish snapped a 4 game point-less streak and now has 11 points on 7 goals and 4 assists in 23 games this season.
* FI defenseman Denis Grebeshkov notched an assist to snap a 12 game point-less streak. Grebeshkov now has 2 assists on 18 games this season. His assist came on the first Edmonton goal as the Oilers dropped the visiting Chicago Blackhawks in a 3-2 SO decision.
That wraps it up for Saturday night. Check back for more nightly highlights here at FIW.